I read about the Knit-A-Cap project in KnitLit. I wrote for the information, and after some trouble getting gauge (it turns out I needed a heavy worsted and not a light worsted like I was using) I got three caps knit up for the fall mail out.
I wish I had been able to knit up a few more for the package, but they prefer to have them in late August. Mine went out the first few days of September. I will try to start earlier this year on knitting them up so there will be more to send in the fall.
I used Lion Brand Jiffy - the worsted weight, not the thick and quick, and knit it up on size #10 wooden double point needles. This is such a quick project, finished in less time then a baseball game!
If you are interested in the project you can find more information on their website: Knit-A-Cap